Tuvalu and ADB
In the Spotlight
ADB will invest over $1 billion worth of energy projects in the Pacific from 2019 to 2021 to increase renewable energy generation and improve access to affordable and sustainable electricity in the subregion.
Pacific Energy Update 2019 details how ADB is helping its Pacific developing member countries undertake a structural shift away from fossil fuel-based energy sources and towards renewables. Read more
The 2019 growth forecast for the Pacific subregion has been raised from 3.5% to 4.2%, driven mainly by higher liquefied natural gas production in Papua New Guinea and increased construction expenditure in Samoa and Solomon Islands, as well as lower-than-projected economic decline in Nauru.
However, project delays in Papua New Guinea, tepid growth in some economies, and slower recovery in others will likely moderate subregional growth to 2.6% in 2020. Read more in the latest Pacific Economic Monitor
ADB is scaling up its assistance in the Pacific, with our active portfolio growing from $500 million in 2004 to $2.6 billion at the end of 2017.
The Pacific Transport Update 2018乐动体育注册 provides an update of transport projects and assistance of ADB in the Pacific as of 2018. ADB continues to assist in the development of the transport sector in 14 Pacific countries through technical assistance, loan, and grant financing.
Tuvalu is a fragile microstate consisting of nine low-lying atolls. The country has a total area of only 26 square kilometers, and most of its 11,000 people live on the main island, Funafuti.
With few exports, Tuvalu is almost entirely dependent on external aid as well as highly variable revenue from fishing licenses, remittances, surpluses from the country’s overseas trust fund, and rent of its “dot tv” internet extension. Building and maintaining fiscal resilience and upgrading maritime infrastructure are key priorities for the government.
ADB's approach and operations in Tuvalu are aligned with the national strategy for sustainable development.
Projects in Tuvalu
- Pacific Private Sector Development Initiative, Phase IV
- Increasing Access to Renewable Energy Project
- Pacific Region Infrastructure Facility Coordination Office-Leveraging Infrastructure for Sustainable Development
- Preparing the Pacific Renewable Energy Investment Facility (Phase 2)
- Pacific Renewable Energy Program
- Improved Fiscal and Infrastructure Management Program
- Asian Development Outlook 2016-2018 - Asian Development Outlook 2017 (Subproject 2)
- Asian Development Outlook 2016-2018 - Asian Development Outlook 2016 (Subproject 1)
- Strengthened Fiscal Sustainability Program
- Outer Island Maritime Infrastructure Project