Thailand and ADB
In the Spotlight
乐动体育注册ADB will invest 3 billion Thai baht ($98.7 million) in Energy Absolute’s maiden green bond issuance, proceeds from which will help support the long-term financing of the company’s 260 MW Hanuman wind farm in Thailand.
乐动体育注册Green bonds are an increasingly viable option for investors in Asia, like pension and superannuation funds, looking to get involved in green sustainable financing.
A new non-GMO, organic rice variety is now helping smallholder farmers in North Thailand out of poverty, while also improving their diet.
Having attained upper-middle-income status in recent times, Thailand aspires to reach higher-income status within the next decade. With its strategic geopolitical position and significance as the second-largest economy in the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN), the country plays a major role in promoting regional cooperation and integration.
Since the late 1990s, economic growth has been impeded by global economic shocks, natural disasters, sociopolitical tensions, and relatively low investment. Other challenges to growth have included persistent inequality, environmental degradation, and an aging population. In July 2014, Thailand approved a long-term Infrastructure Development Plan to boost the country’s competitiveness, by improving and expanding its logistics and transport networks.
ADB's country partnership strategy for Thailand provides the flexibility to respond to the country’s needs and priorities through sovereign and nonsovereign support.
Thailand is a member of the Greater Mekong Subregion (GMS). It is also part of the Indonesia–Malaysia–Thailand Growth Triangle (IMT–GT)乐动体育注册 subregional program.
Projects in Thailand
- Supporting Internationalization of Small and Medium-Sized Enterprises:Linking India and the Greater Mekong Subregion
- Southeast Asia Transport Project Preparatory Facility Phase 2
- Connecting the Railways of the Greater Mekong Subregion (Phase 2)
- Promoting Action on Plastic Pollution from Source to Sea in Asia and the Pacific - Enhancing Knowledge and Creating Enabling Environments for Reducing Marine Plastic Pollution (Subproject 1)
- Promoting an Interconnected, Inclusive, and Resilient Association of Southeast Asian Nations Capital Market