Maldives and ADB
In the Spotlight
Gross domestic product (GDP) growth marginally rose to 6.9% in 2018 from 6.8% in 2017 given robust construction activities, tourism, and supporting services. Average inflation fell from 2.8% to only –0.1% in 2018. While GDP is projected to moderate to 6.5% in 2019 and further to 6.3% in 2020. Download report
乐动体育注册Limited access to finance in the small islands of Maldives holds back local business development and employment opportunities but a new program has helped to set up 172 new businesses.
ADB operations in Maldives support efforts to enhance energy efficiency, improve urban infrastructure and services, develop micro, small and medium enterprises, and strengthen the capacities of the government in program and portfolio management.
Comprising around 1,190 small islands in the Indian Ocean, the Maldives is home to around 436,330 people.
The Government of the Maldives is focused on providing basic needs—such as affordable housing, clean water, and adequate sewerage—as one of its top priorities. Decentralization is also a key priority. However, development of the Greater Malé Area will continue to be given high priority.
ADB’s strategy and plan for Maldives and the pipeline of priority projects are prepared based on consultations with various government agencies.
The Maldives is a member of the South Asia Subregional Economic Cooperation (SASEC) program.
Projects in Maldives
- 2020 International Comparison Program for Asia and the Pacific
- Improving Safeguard Implementation in South Asia
- Support for Innovation and Technology Partnerships in Asia and the Pacific - Energy Sector High-Level Technology Application (Subproject 2)
- Strengthening Knowledge Partnership to Support Project Development
- Developing South Asian Livable Cities Facility
- South Asia Subregional Economic Cooperation National Single Window Project
- Asian Development Outlook 2016-2018 - Asian Development Outlook 2017 (Subproject 2)
- Asian Development Outlook 2016-2018 - Asian Development Outlook 2016 (Subproject 1)
- Kulhudhuffushi Harbor Expansion Project
- Asian Development Outlook 2015